« The Tipping Point, Part IIThe Personal Impact of Social Media from Industry Movers & Shakers... »

6 comments

Comment from: Neil barham [Visitor]
You tip 20 %!! most of the time the server tips out the sommelier on gross bt sales, so if you don't tip on the wine the server can actually be paying out of their pocket for your experience, pls remember it's just like being a salesman; this notion of not tipping on big wines is really bad, years ago I served the flagstaff house and left due to people saying they wouldn't tip on big wines I had to still pay out 10% to the som and more than once I list money on the table, believe me the next time that table came they were lucky to get bread and water!
09/23/09 @ 16:42
Comment from: Jay Hunt [Visitor]
In Canada wine if frequently marked up 300% in restaurants. That means a $300 bottle is only worth $100 retail. I would suggest a tip of 20% of the retail price or $20, not $60.

Note, Canadians are notoriously low tippers so this might not be appropriate in New York or Las Vegas.
09/23/09 @ 17:30
Comment from: Pierangelo Lanfranchi [Visitor]
Tipping is probably not the best word for this topic.

Let me explain:waiters,wine waiters and maitre all work at or below the minimum wage.
Yet they must be knowledgeable and be able to process to work in a fast pace environment.

And here is the question?

Why is everyone concern with what is fair and not and never question a plumber,carpenter,lawyer ,doctors and so on.

If you are saying a waiter just carry a dish to the table and a sommelier just pull a cork from a bottle than you do not know anything about the restaurant busyness at all so what is the point of having this conversation at all?

I welcome anybody here to work at a restaurant and having let us say 5 tables full of guests and that they are all there and ready to order and they all want to be served and cared for at the same time.
Well let me tell you ,it takes great skills to be able to do that and that does not come easy,do not underestimate that profession please.

I would call tipping a better word like profit sharing and yes 20% should be a good average.
If not happy with the service please have a word with management and not happy do not go back to that restaurant.

You do have a choice and if you cannot afford it do not take it out on the wait staff and have a burger instead or a fish and chips..

Take care

P
09/23/09 @ 18:05
Comment from: Dr. Jerry Perrone [Visitor] · http://www.pleasantviewwinery.us
Never tip on the cost of a bottle of wine served at the table.
The bottle of wine you are purchasing has a hefty mark up; the cost of purchase, storage, chilling, corking and "serving" is already included.
Tip in accordance with the service only; and always minus the bar tab.

Even if you brown bag a bottle in, there will be a (tip)corking charge. Make sure you take into account this charge when deciding on the level of service and the corresponding percent.

The som should not be given a tip. His pay and gratuity is included in the cost of the bottle of wine you are buying. There are exceptions; when the som goes out of his or her way to get you that special bottle from another location.

Only tip at a tasting room if the tasting is free. The tip in a free tasting room should be about one to three dollars per person, according to the number of wines tasted and the corresponding information from the person serving. A simple rule is a dollar per 7/8th ounce served, if the info is good. The cost of doing buisness is included in the cost of the wine you buy at the tasting room.

If you go to a wine seminar, no tip is necessary. The gratuity is already included in the cost per person.

Jerry
Pleasantview Winery
Harbor Springs, Mi.
09/24/09 @ 08:41
Comment from: Jim Evans [Visitor]
I'm glad I don't drink.
09/24/09 @ 12:33
Comment from: mediadoll [Visitor]
I dont tip on corkage fees, service fees (like the 4% charge in SF) nor do I tip on the wine I order at a restaurant which is typically over $100. (For the most part, we bring our own wine and incur the corkage fee) My husband and I also dont like waiters to pour the wine and we request this upfront so we can keep track of the amount we drink and drink it more slowly (they usually fill it too quickly for us) If I order a drink at a bar, I tip $1-2 per drink depending on how complex, so $1 for a beer and $2 for a martini. If I like the service at a restuarant, I tip 20% or more, and 15% if its ok. I tip the coat check $1. On the way home, I tip my cabbie $2. I am pretty generous with tipping and don't feel the least bit guilty about not tipping on an overpriced bottle of wine or corkage fee. We frequent the same restaurants, ask for a favorite waitstaff and we both look forward to good company since we have gotten to know each of them. That to me, is more important than a big tip.
06/14/10 @ 16:35

This post has 15697 feedbacks awaiting moderation...